Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My otherwise perfect CX30, 3600 miles, has an odd issue, wondering if anyone else has experienced it. When driving at very low speeds, with foot lightly on gas, the engine will often rev suddenly around 750rpm and go up to 1200rpm, but return quickly. Often happens over speed bumps, or while parking. Doesn’t happen if I coast, so clearly something related to accelerator. The car doesn‘t actually jerk forward. It’s mainly irritating and I should probably take it into dealer...but wanted to check here first!
Thanks for any advice, similar stories...

·
Registered
2020, CX-30 Sports Tech SkyActiv-X - Machine Grey
122 Posts
Cant say Ive seen that with mine and its been around slow speed bumps and in traffic, Id definitely get it checked out.

·
Registered
Machine Gray CX-30
6 Posts
YES!!!! I thought I was going nuts. Does it all the time going around town at low speed. Dealer technician said its the SkyActive tranny software revving rpms to go to next higher gear to save gas. Yet I've driven CX30 loaners that don't have that issue. Got no help from Mazda North America. They said go back to dealer again. So am going to find a different dealer to bring it to. I only have 400 miles and don't like driving it like this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This thread is old, but I just wanted to say that this is expected behavior. Mazda wanted the Skyactiv AT to have a more direct feel like a manual or dual clutch would. So, they lock the torque converter clutch at very low speeds to give this "direct" feel. Some VW dual clutches do the same thing. Basically what the computer is doing is rev matching in order to lock the clutch again. Happens only at a certain speed when the vehicle can coast on its own. Any other speed the clutch stays locked or it keeps it unlocked to allow slip.

·
Registered
Machine Gray CX-30
6 Posts
Thank Tagman. Your observation is reassuring. I've also changed my accelerator pressure to take advantage of the AT. I've been used to driving stick and this is a little different. Anyways, I'm exceeding EPA gas estimates by 2-3 mpg so there is that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts