Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
325 hp / 400 lb⋅ft
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my CX-30 arriving in about two weeks, I've been trying to finish up my list of mods I'd like to do to it. (This includes a 3D model of the CX30 I've been experimenting on 😈).

One of my considerations is extending the wheels out a little bit, perhaps ~1/2 inch beyond flush with the wheel wells themselves. That said, I don't have much experience in this particular area, and so don't know what to consider or look for.

Does anyone here have any insight to share? Best practices, good products, specs, warnings, or the like? Would this void warranty? Is it a dumb idea?

Any and all feedback is welcome 😁

·
Registered
2021 Turbo Premium Plus
5 Posts
Black roof and chrome blackout are fantastic. I would do those mods on mine in a heartbeat. Maybe just getting wider wheels and tires instead of pushing the extant wheels out?

·
Registered
325 hp / 400 lb⋅ft
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Black roof and chrome blackout are fantastic. I would do those mods on mine in a heartbeat. Maybe just getting wider wheels and tires instead of pushing the extant wheels out?
I might do something like that. It seems that extending the wheels out, even a little bit like 15mm, has an impact on how large your wheels can be without rubbing on full lock.

I would have assumed the opposite, that the extra space would create more clearance instead of less. So maybe the answer is wider tires and a slight lower offset instead of actual spacers.

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
191 Posts
I might do something like that. It seems that extending the wheels out, even a little bit like 15mm, has an impact on how large your wheels can be without rubbing on full lock.

I would have assumed the opposite, that the extra space would create more clearance instead of less. So maybe the answer is wider tires and a slight lower offset instead of actual spacers.
If you haven't already, check the offset chart I added to the wheel/tire thread. Going outside the cladding is considered poke fitment and in my opinion is a poor aesthetic fit on cars and crossovers like the CX-30, but style is subjective, do you. Besides aesthetics, certain states laws don't allow poke, whether it's enforced is another story.

I had 2" spacers on my Wrangler. The bolts were consistently breaking, which is common, and unsafe. The other downside of having your tires poke outside the cladding is the body will get significantly more dirt and spray splatter.

Flush is the most aesthetically appealing in my opinion but it might not be ideal for the cx-30...to balance the cladding and fill the gap with maximum tire size.

·
Registered
325 hp / 400 lb⋅ft
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are good points. I certainly don't want to risk snapping bolts, and now that I know extending the wheels out actually reduces how large you can make your tires, that even more of s reason to strike it off of the list.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just put 25mm H&R hub centric spacers on my cx 30 front and rear . The fitment is perfectly even with the fender , and the handling is much better than stock . I was thinking about new wheels , possibly 19x8.5 +35 which would give about the same fitment I have now . I didn't dislike the stock black wheels enough to spend $2000 for wheels and tires . The spacers cost $300 and the CX 30 looks and handles much better . I have over 1000 miles on the spacers with no issues to report .

·
Registered
CX30 2021, GS 2.5
6 Posts
I just put 25mm H&R hub centric spacers on my cx 30 front and rear . The fitment is perfectly even with the fender , and the handling is much better than stock . I was thinking about new wheels , possibly 19x8.5 +35 which would give about the same fitment I have now . I didn't dislike the stock black wheels enough to spend $2000 for wheels and tires . The spacers cost $300 and the CX 30 looks and handles much better . I have over 1000 miles on the spacers with no issues to report .
That sounds promising. Got any pics?

·
Registered
325 hp / 400 lb⋅ft
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've installed new wheels and tires, and took the opportunity to adjust the offset too. I'm now on (huge) 235/65/17s with 35mm offset, and the wider tires with the lower offset came together for a fitment I really like.

Maybe 1/2" of poke in the front and a little less in the rear?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle Grille Tire

Tire Sky Vehicle Wheel Car

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Road surface Tire Wood Bumper

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
191 Posts
I'm interested to know what your perception of perfectly even with the fender is because there isn't 25 mm of tuck on the oem setup to start with. From my measurements it's about 11mm in the front and 18 mm in the rear measured from the top of the cladding.

Likewise, I haven't found a fitment in an 8.5" wide wheel that doesn't poke, at minimum, in the front. Let alone a +35 offset.

You'd have to run a +48-50 offset 8.5" wheel to not poke in the front and then you risk rubbing the suspension components in the rear depending on what your tire specs are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here are a few angles of top and front view . Maybe I should not of said Perfect . I believe the perfect fitment would be 20mm in the front and 25mm in the rear . My fronts do stick out slightly , the rears are perfect . Untitled

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here are a few angles of top and front view . Maybe I should not of said Perfect . I believe the perfect fitment would be 20mm in the front and 25mm in the rear . My fronts do stick out slightly , the rears are perfect . Untitled
Nice!
Do you have a link?
or an accurate description of the Spacer you purchased?
Where the OEM studs short enough so that the were fully inside the Spacer cavities?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice!
Do you have a link?
or an accurate description of the Spacer you purchased?
Where the OEM studs short enough so that the were fully inside the Spacer cavities?
Thanks in advance
H&R wheel spacers are one of the best , if not the best you can buy . They are made in Germany out of an Aluminum/magnesium blend . Magnesium is 30% lighter than aluminum and is stronger. I would only use H&R or Eibach , no Ebay junk . The studs do stick out slightly past the 25mm spacer , but there are cutouts in the factory wheel for them to go into. Whatever spacer you buy always put a thin layer of anti seize or grease between the aluminum spacer and steel brake rotor . Then torque all 10 lugs(per wheel) to 100 ft lbs . Here is a link to the H&R's I bought.H&R Wheel Spacers Mazda CX5 (2017-2021) 6mm 7.5mm 15mm 18mm 20mm 22mm – Redline360

1 - 20 of 33 Posts