Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 AWD GS-Luxury
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just purchased a new 2021 CX30 GS-Luxury and stumbled across this forum! First Mazda in the family and super excited for it. In need of winter tires (Canada) and trying to find another set of wheels that fit the CX30. I've already decided on 17" winters (215/60R17 Continental VikingContact 7), after researching and comparing prices it seems to be the best value compared to the Blizzak WS90 and Michelin X-Ice Snow without compromising quality.

Found a couple used OEM sets from Mazda 3s that I'm interested in but I'm a bit worried about the offset. Found these values from: Reference guide for car wheel and tire dimensions such as size, offset, PCD

CX30 - 6.5Jx17 ET45
Mazda 3 - 6.5Jx17 ET50

Will the difference in offset cause any issues with the CX30? Is there enough clearance for the brakes? If anyone has any other recommendations on what wheels to look for, let me know as well!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,032 Posts
can't help you with your question, but congrats and welcome to the forum from another Canadian. I too am on my first Mazda and also have the GS version but not with the Luxury pak.

TIP: don't forget to fill in your location and what you are driving in Account Settings so your vehicle info will show up each time you post, saves a lot of hassle for everyone.

Reactions: savcom and MC34

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can't help you with your question, but congrats and welcome to the forum from another Canadian. I too am on my first Mazda and also have the GS version but not with the Luxury pak.

TIP: don't forget to fill in your location and what you are driving in Account Settings so your vehicle info will show up each time you post, saves a lot of hassle for everyone.
Thanks for the tip! Just filled out that info.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,032 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 GS AWD, LP, Soul Red
19 Posts
I think the guy I spoke to over at the Costco wheel distribution place said an offset of 5 up or down doesn't really matter, the higher it is the more the wheel face will come out of the vehicle and vice versa. I believe 17inch is no problem with clearance for the brakes. I personally bought another set of 18 inch wheels from Costco that are matte black so I did a swapperoo; winter tires went onto the wheels the car came with and all season tires the car came with went onto the new black wheels. I heard steel is better for winter and more economical but I wanted black wheels without having to plastidip or spray so thought I might as well put to use the original wheels haha

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
187 Posts
Offset is measured from the mounting surface to the centre of the wheel. For positive offset, as this number increases, the face of the wheel moves further inboard. A lower offset moves the wheel face out further away from the vehicle. How much change in offset a vehicle can tolerate depends on a number of factors, as you are trying to avoid having the tire or wheel make contact with the vehicle frame, suspension components, or wheel arch.

For the two wheels you describe, the Mazda 3 wheel with the ET50 offset will sit 5mm further inboard than the CX30 wheel at ET45. The wheels are the same width, so the question then becomes whether there is enough clearance to the suspension, but I expect that a 5mm difference would be tolerable, assuming you like the look of the wheel face being a bit more drawn into the wheel wells.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Offset is measured from the mounting surface to the centre of the wheel. For positive offset, as this number increases, the face of the wheel moves further inboard. A lower offset moves the wheel face out further away from the vehicle. How much change in offset a vehicle can tolerate depends on a number of factors, as you are trying to avoid having the tire or wheel make contact with the vehicle frame, suspension components, or wheel arch.

For the two wheels you describe, the Mazda 3 wheel with the ET50 offset will sit 5mm further inboard than the CX30 wheel at ET45. The wheels are the same width, so the question then becomes whether there is enough clearance to the suspension, but I expect that a 5mm difference would be tolerable, assuming you like the look of the wheel face being a bit more drawn into the wheel wells.
Thanks! I’ll be calling the dealership tomorrow morning to ask the parts department their input as well. I suspect it shouldn’t have any issues but better to be safe than sorry when I purchase the wheels and they aren’t compatible with the CX30. Also read that a 5mm offset is within the range so it should still be fine.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 Preferred pkg Snowflake White
1 Posts
Greetings, I traded my CX-3 for the 2020 CX-30 Preferred package and kept the 16" winter wheels. The dealer threw in a set of sensors for me to sweeten to deal. The CX-30 Base model runs a 16" wheel and they assumed it would work. Well... here's what I learned. The rear brake support is beefed up on the 30 and the 16" rim hits, the front bolted up fine.
Specs: Cx-30 Base Tire 215/65R16 98H, Wheel 6.5Jx16 ET45, Bolt Pattern 5x114.3
Specs: Cx-3 Base Tire 215/60R16 95V, Wheel 6.5Jx16 ET50, Bolt Pattern 5x114.3

I have found 5mm wheel spacers to compensate for the offset difference.
5mm is not a lot, but there was a recommendation to change the studs.

Does anyone have any experience in the area on the CX-30?

·
Registered
98 Posts
TIRE PRESSURE.
Generally tire pressure information as noted on the door frame for the O.E.M standard tire 215 /55/R18 is around 36 P.S.I.

I can not stress the importance of maintaining the recomended stated cold tire pressure .

However, for those lining in arears where the roads get extremely hot, I have experianced tire pressure escalate a further 6 P.S.I. +/- to say 42 P.S.I. +/- .

The max tire pressure as stated on the tire side wall of the tire usualy around say 50 P.S.I. relates to the " poping on process " during instalation only.

It is imposible to judge correct tire pressure by just looking at the tire.

Some vehicle require different front to back tire pressures.

Not all tires will retain or maintain correct pressure arround the same vehicle.

People can not expect the " Gas jockey" at the Gas station to know the correct tire pressure required for all the tires out there.
I would recomend that you supervise that process.

WARNING
May I note , that over infation an under inflation can be detremental .
Tires have been known to explode causing role over from over inflation.
Incorect inflation also causes steering problems.

·
Registered
'21 2.5L Turbo AWD on Order
29 Posts
Greetings, I traded my CX-3 for the 2020 CX-30 Preferred package and kept the 16" winter wheels. The dealer threw in a set of sensors for me to sweeten to deal. The CX-30 Base model runs a 16" wheel and they assumed it would work. Well... here's what I learned. The rear brake support is beefed up on the 30 and the 16" rim hits, the front bolted up fine.
Specs: Cx-30 Base Tire 215/65R16 98H, Wheel 6.5Jx16 ET45, Bolt Pattern 5x114.3
Specs: Cx-3 Base Tire 215/60R16 95V, Wheel 6.5Jx16 ET50, Bolt Pattern 5x114.3

I have found 5mm wheel spacers to compensate for the offset difference.
5mm is not a lot, but there was a recommendation to change the studs.

Does anyone have any experience in the area on the CX-30?
I have a set of 16x7 Konig Backbone ET40 on order with a set of the Michelin CrossClimate 2. Discount Tire doesn't list the turbo model in their configurator but Tire Rack does in their configurator. Tire Rack has four 16x7 models available with 38-45 offset, but no 16x6.5 models are listed. I am putting my bets on the extra width of the wheel and the additional -5mm of offset being the difference in whether a 16" wheel fits or does not fit. I also just messaged Tire Rack online chat and asked if the configurator was ever incorrect? "our engineer's have measured your vehicle so we only list what is guaranteed to fit." I guess we will see when the vehicle arrives and I go to have the wheels installed on the same day. Just in case, where did you find your wheel spacers?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just purchased a new 2021 CX30 GS-Luxury and stumbled across this forum! First Mazda in the family and super excited for it. In need of winter tires (Canada) and trying to find another set of wheels that fit the CX30. I've already decided on 17" winters (215/60R17 Continental VikingContact 7), after researching and comparing prices it seems to be the best value compared to the Blizzak WS90 and Michelin X-Ice Snow without compromising quality.

Found a couple used OEM sets from Mazda 3s that I'm interested in but I'm a bit worried about the offset. Found these values from: Reference guide for car wheel and tire dimensions such as size, offset, PCD

CX30 - 6.5Jx17 ET45
Mazda 3 - 6.5Jx17 ET50

Will the difference in offset cause any issues with the CX30? Is there enough clearance for the brakes? If anyone has any other recommendations on what wheels to look for, let me know as well!

Thanks in advance!
Dependent on where you live and drive the choice of side wall preference makes allot of difference ,as ,there may be an occasion where the tires will be a need to deflate the tire to give better traction, again may I say to avoid cracking splitting of the tire side wall. Proper tire pressure should be maintained back after deflation .
I always carry a old fashioned foot pump in the boot as I am not Into gadgets although I drive a super gadget, a red Mazda.

A Mazda in Bermuda.

·
Registered
2021, Mazda CX-30, M HYBRID SKYACTIV G - 90kW
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have a new Mazda CX-30 M HYBRID SKYACTIV G 90kW, fitted into 215/65-r16 and I have an option to buy winter tires 215/70-r16. Would you recommend buying them or do you think it isnt a very good idea? Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts