Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently signed up for EZPass (northeast USA) and haven't taped the toll transponder to my windsheild yet. I think some states use suction cups on theirs, but ours uses adhesive tape, so I don't want to move it again once it's in place.

The standard location is normally just behind the rearview mirror so that it won't block your view, but the front camera device is pretty large on the newer cars. I could stick it just underneath the mirror/camera. It looks like it might also work well to the left or right side of the mirror, close to the top of the window. Do you know if the black band at the very top of the windshield will block the signal?

What location do you use? Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 CX30 G25 Astina 2.5Lt AWD
41 Posts
This is my 3rd mazda and I’ve had my transponders all mounted up in the mesh zone. All worked like a charm. Technologies couldn’t be that different to yours.

Stick it up there with something like cloth tape and give it a test run first then you’re good to go.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 Deep Crystal Blue Mica - Premium
422 Posts
Thanks Benno. I was wondering whether that mesh area or the black band above it would interfere. Glad to hear you had no issues with that location.
There really was no good spot for me to put mine... I called EZ pass for New York and end up getting exterior amount when that goes on the front license plate. Don't mind the sunglasses 😉😎

·
Registered
24 Posts
There really was no good spot for me to put mine... I called EZ pass for New York and end up getting exterior amount when that goes on the front license plate. Don't mind the sunglasses 😉😎 View attachment 2397
Very interesting, thanks!

For External tags and Commercial Trucks
Your external tag is designed to be attached to the front of your vehicle, on a flat surface. It is screw-mounted in the area on the front bumper where the license plate is located.

Position the tag so that the mounting holes correspond to the top of the license plate area on the front bumper of the vehicle.

If the license plate area on your vehicle is partially obstructed by an overhanging bumper, please call the E-ZPass® Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-TOLL(8655) for an alternate mounting location.

Security Mounting
Tamper-resistant mounting screws may be provided upon request.

Step 1: Remove top two screws from license plate.
Step 2: Position tag so the mounting holes in the tags correspond to the top holes in the license plate area on the front bumper of the vehicle.
Step 3: Tighten tamper-resistant screws provided with the unique Allen wrench to secure tag to vehicle.

Mounting holes indicate top of tag for upright mounting.
Exterior tags Mounting Holes

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 Deep Crystal Blue Mica - Premium
422 Posts
Very interesting, thanks!

For External tags and Commercial Trucks
Your external tag is designed to be attached to the front of your vehicle, on a flat surface. It is screw-mounted in the area on the front bumper where the license plate is located.

Position the tag so that the mounting holes correspond to the top of the license plate area on the front bumper of the vehicle.

If the license plate area on your vehicle is partially obstructed by an overhanging bumper, please call the E-ZPass® Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-TOLL(8655) for an alternate mounting location.

Security Mounting
Tamper-resistant mounting screws may be provided upon request.

Step 1: Remove top two screws from license plate.
Step 2: Position tag so the mounting holes in the tags correspond to the top holes in the license plate area on the front bumper of the vehicle.
Step 3: Tighten tamper-resistant screws provided with the unique Allen wrench to secure tag to vehicle.

Mounting holes indicate top of tag for upright mounting.
Exterior tags Mounting Holes
Yeah I wouldn't go any other route now that I have the exterior tag. The interior of the car is just so pristine and having a tag mounted anywhere on the dash or the windshield messed up the vibes 😥

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Preferred AWD Jet Black Mica/Greige
20 Posts
In Virginia you can choose a regular EZPass transponder or the EZPass "Flex Pass" transponder. The Flex Pass has a switch on its edge. You flip the switch if two or three or more riders are in the car so you can ride in the HOV toll lanes for free. You switch it off for regular tolling situations. I'm guessing that external transponder, which is very cool, doesn't have the ability to switch to Flex mode and thus can't be used to travel in the HOV toll lanes for free. Correct?

·
Update your profile and enter your Vehicle Details
4 Posts
In Virginia you can choose a regular EZPass transponder or the EZPass "Flex Pass" transponder. The Flex Pass has a switch on its edge. You flip the switch if two or three or more riders are in the car so you can ride in the HOV toll lanes for free. You switch it off for regular tolling situations. I'm guessing that external transponder, which is very cool, doesn't have the ability to switch to Flex mode and thus can't be used to travel in the HOV toll lanes for free. Correct?
Did you ever get a response to this? What did you end up doing? I am in the same boat in Northern Virginia...

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Preferred AWD Jet Black Mica/Greige
20 Posts
Did you ever get a response to this? What did you end up doing? I am in the same boat in Northern Virginia...
No. Unfortunately, I never did get a response. I ended up ordering the Flex Pass responder and stuck it in the usual place on the windshield, just under the rearview mirror mount. I don't like it there, but not sure what else to do. I suppose I could contact the EZPass folks, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

·
Update your profile and enter your Vehicle Details
4 Posts
No. Unfortunately, I never did get a response. I ended up ordering the Flex Pass responder and stuck it in the usual place on the windshield, just under the rearview mirror mount. I don't like it there, but not sure what else to do. I suppose I could contact the EZPass folks, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.
Yeah, same here. It just sits so low on the windshield. But, it does seem to read fine.

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
300 Posts
Put mine on passenger side. Not great, but most of the time its just me in the car and it’s pretty much out of my view.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.