Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got possession of my new CX-30 GT (in Canada) the other day. Beautiful car, can't rave about it enough. However, as I was making a 200km drive to see family for the week, I started hearing a high pitched whining noise coming from the engine area... As I kept driving, I noticed the sound was in tune with the transmission... Meaning, the pitch was proportional to the acceleration and shifting... And disappeared once I rev'd on Park or Neutral...

After researching online, many other Mazda3s and CX-5s in the past have had this issue... There's even a technical service bulletin (TSB) describing it exactly:

This Mazda3 owner describes the issue correctly also:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda3/comments/dfh2j3
For a brand new car to have this problem pretty much right off the lot (I'm at less than 400km/250miles) is massively disappointing and concerning to say the least. And yes, I did test the car before purchasing it, but did not hear anything. The noise actually starts after driving for a few minutes, and you need complete silence in the cabin. Once you do hear it, you can't "unhear" it anymore.

At least the chief mechanic at the dealer acknowledged the issue after he test drove it. But since there are no recalls nor TSBs for the CX-30, he's gonna have to talk to Mazda Canada, and see if they're willing to approve a fix. So, to be continued. A brand new car, unbelievable...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got possession of my new CX-30 GT (in Canada) the other day. Beautiful car, can't rave about it enough. However, as I was making a 200km drive to see family for the week, I started hearing a high pitched whining noise coming from the engine area... As I kept driving, I noticed the sound was in tune with the transmission... Meaning, the pitch was proportional to the acceleration and shifting... And disappeared once I rev'd on Park or Neutral...

After researching online, many other Mazda3s and CX-5s in the past have had this issue... There's even a technical service bulletin (TSB) describing it exactly:

For a brand new car to have this problem pretty much right off the lot (I'm at less than 400km/250miles) is massively disappointing and concerning to say the least. And yes, I did test the car before purchasing it, but did not hear anything. The noise actually starts after driving for a few minutes, and you need complete silence in the cabin. Once you do hear it, you can't "unhear" it anymore.

At least the chief mechanic at the dealer acknowledged the issue after he test drove it. But since there are no recalls nor TSBs for the CX-30, he's gonna have to talk to Mazda Canada, and see if they're willing to approve a fix. So, to be continued. A brand new car, unbelievable...

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just purchased a 2021 CX-30 and put 100km on it now and seem to be having the same noise issue. At speeds around 100 -120km a harmonic sound appears in the cabin kinda like the sound you get when your index finger rubs the lip of a wine glass. Can this be the same issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just purchased a 2021 CX-30 and put 100km on it now and seem to be having the same noise issue. At speeds around 100 -120km a harmonic sound appears in the cabin kinda like the sound you get when your index finger rubs the lip of a wine glass. Can this be the same issue?
Hum, not sure... The noise I was experiencing is exactly as described in that old TSB in my original post... Starts around 25mph/40kmh... Then progressively gets higher in pitch are you speed... No noise while revving in park or neutral... Since it's undoubtedly a defective transaxle bearing issue, the level of defect could vary from case to case... But if you're only hearing the noise above 100km, it could be something else... But keep a close ear to it, and force your dealer's mechanic to conduct as many tests as possible... Those guys are so quick to dismiss any issue of the sorts (they tried with me), that you gotta constantly apply pressure on them to do their job...

They finally replaced the whole transmission on mine. Since the CX-30 is new, there are no official TSB's for this problem yet, so they couldn't ID the problem exactly, it was easier to replace the whole thing... The noise is now gone... Very, very disappointed at Mazda for building transmissions with this problem after so many reoccurrences over the years...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts