Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

windshield steep curve on drivers side

8K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Major919 
#1 ·
This is a bit rare, but a real issue for me when driving. I have something called "ocular migraine"which means I am sensitive to sunglasses with a steep curve. Visual curves trigger vertigo and headaches, and I am having some rather serious issues with my new Mazda CX-30. The drivers seat is so jammed to the left, that there is no center "flat" spot in the windshield. I am having serious vertigo trying to shift all the way to the right, so I don't catch the steep left curve. Due to practically no spacing between the steering wheel and the left window, and the large storage unit between the driver and passenger seat, I can't drive without discomfort. I am only using the car for short trips, and I still am reeling when I get home. I have bought specula migraine designed sunglasses, and have flat Ray Bans, but these don't seem to help. I love the car, just bought it a week ago, and am panicking as to what to do. I can't sell it - but I'm not sure if I can drive it. Any similar issues with vertigo and steep windshield curves, would love to hear from you!

#2 ·
Yikes! Bummer . . . never heard of that problem and can't imagine a workaround. I would think Mazda corporate would like to be aware of it but you're right in that they'd be more responsive if it's an issue for a significant number of drivers. Good luck in your search for a fix and I hope others here might have some good ideas.

#3 ·
... I have something called "ocular migraine"which means I am sensitive to sunglasses with a steep curve. Visual curves trigger vertigo and headaches, and I am having some rather serious issues with my new Mazda CX-30. The drivers seat is so jammed to the left, that there is no center "flat" spot in the windshield. I am having serious vertigo trying to shift all the way to the right, so I don't catch the steep left curve. ....
Sounds like this will be tricky to work around since there's not much you can do about the windshield shape or the lateral seat position. Have you had similar problems with other cars? (ex - when riding in other cars as a passenger, or with your own cars?)

Would tinting the front window help or would that just make it even worse? I've heard some states have exceptions to allow tinting the front windows for people with severe migraines.

#4 ·
I encountered a problem similar to yours, But I don't know how to do it, hope to get help.
I purchased the Mazda CX-30 turbo premium on January 3, 2021. When I was driving, I noticed that my windshield was wavy, uneven, and wrinkled. my friends test drive it and have encountered the same problem. I think it is a defective windshield. This makes us feel dizzy. I think the new car should not have this problem. I want to replace the defective windshield immediately. This is a serious safety hazard.

But the biggest problem is that the service center where I bought the car does not want to be responsible for it. Even if I have purchased a full cover warranty of 100,000 miles for 7 years.T^T

#5 ·
I encountered a problem similar to yours, But I don't know how to do it, hope to get help.
I purchased the Mazda CX-30 turbo premium on January 3, 2021. When I was driving, I noticed that my windshield was wavy, uneven, and wrinkled. my friends test drive it and have encountered the same problem. I think it is a defective windshield. This makes us feel dizzy. I think the new car should not have this problem. I want to replace the defective windshield immediately. This is a serious safety hazard.

But the biggest problem is that the service center where I bought the car does not want to be responsible for it. Even if I have purchased a full cover warranty of 100,000 miles for 7 years.T^T
I called my dealer who was wholly uninterested in taking it into account. I honestly think this is a "good luck, you're stuck" problem and I am sorry you're dealing with this too. My windshield isn't wavy - just the curve is so steep, it makes it hard to find a focal point. I did bring my seat height down and that helped, but now I feel like I'm sitting too low. I would never have purchased if I had had a few days to test-drive. Next time I ask the dealer for a 24 hour tester. Best of luck!

#6 ·
I encountered the same issue. I was so ready to buy the 2021 cx30 yesterday, but as soon as I started to test drive it, I noticed distortion through the windshield on the left side. It was a bit better when I scooted all the way down. Not practical to drive in this position by any means, but I wanted to check the different heights and positions. I’d have to move toward the center and sit really low. Unfortunately that was a deal breaker, especially since I could feel a headache coming on. I tried two more, thinking it was that particular vehicle, but I encountered the same issue. What a shame because it is otherwise a gorgeous car!

#7 ·
I'm so sorry you're experiencing something similar. I have to say, I have adjusted after 1 year of driving the Mazda, but I would not buy the car again if I had a choice. I did find a car I really like. A lot. A bit more money though. I drove the Volvo XC60 for a week from LA up the coast, and was just blown away by how seamless this car feels. It was one of the most enjoyable cars to drive, and will be waiting for an electric version. The interior isn't as well designed as the Mazda CX30, which is (other than the seat and windshield design and annoying screen toggle) excellent. It has more horsepower, a superior stereo system compared to the thin and unimpressive Bose system and more backseat room. I guess I just talked myself into the Volvo again. Best of luck and sorry you're struggling with the car!

#13 ·
I had a 2017 Lexus RX350 with a VERY slopped windshield that made me extremely nauseous every time I was in it. I ended up traded it 4 months after the purchase.
Fast forward to 2021. I punched a 2022 Hyndai Santa Fe that i am having the same issue with and I’m pretty certain I will be trading soon.
I guess I need to drive a box shaped vehicle moving forward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.