Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX30 GT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took Mazda up on their offer to put winter tires on steel rims on our new car before we picked it up. Jack Frost is just around the corner here. Ugly but safety trumps aesthetics.

Yesterday I noticed that already there is some rust starting around the exposed hub of our new CX30. I looking into getting some centre caps for them but ended up finding a rather interesting debate as to weather in winter it’s better to have no caps to avoid salt build-up. The dealership suggested I just spray some silicone on them once a month.

I’ve already ordered the silicone spray as it seems like a good idea. But it does still leave that centre exposed and quite ugly looking. What are people’s thoughts on hubcaps in the winter? Better to live with the look?

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
224 Posts
I guess it would depend on what the wheel looks like. Maybe just touch up with paint wher its rusting? Certainly could use caps. Again that depends on what the wheel will hold ( center cap/ full cover). Got a pic?

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,080 Posts
most people in my area (south-eastern, Ontario) that have on winter tires, just seem to use steel rims with no hub caps.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would skip the silicone and consider Boeshield T9 or Fluid Film.
I’ve never used it, but a buddy of mine swears by that Fluid Film. Has a bunch of older vehicles and sprays the entire underneath.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
112 Posts
Surface rust on wheel hubs is going to happen regardless of hub caps, it's not really a concern but you can try the silicone spray if you want or buy hub caps if you don't like the look. I have run steel wheels with hubcaps in the winter without issue.

I have steel wheels without any caps on my car right now.

·
Registered
2021 CX30 GT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it would depend on what the wheel looks like. Maybe just touch up with paint wher its rusting? Certainly could use caps. Again that depends on what the wheel will hold ( center cap/ full cover). Got a pic?
Right now, the wheels still look great but a bit of rust is already starting. For sure I’ll steel wool the rust away and put on protectant - but do I add caps afterwards? I was looking at other cars on the road today and didn’t see anyone with only centre caps on their steel rims. Wonder if such a thing even exists? Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
224 Posts
Right now, the wheels still look great but a bit of rust is already starting. For sure I’ll steel wool the rust away and put on protectant - but do I add caps afterwards? I was looking at other cars on the road today and didn’t see anyone with only centre caps on their steel rims. Wonder if such a thing even exists? View attachment 3237

View attachment 3237
Not like some of the old steel wheels that would hold a 'dog dish' cap. But, I would guess someone makes a center cap - maybe held on the lug nuts? What size wheels are they?

·
Registered
4 Posts
We took Mazda up on their offer to put winter tires on steel rims on our new car before we picked it up. Jack Frost is just around the corner here. Ugly but safety trumps aesthetics.

Yesterday I noticed that already there is some rust starting around the exposed hub of our new CX30. I looking into getting some centre caps for them but ended up finding a rather interesting debate as to weather in winter it’s better to have no caps to avoid salt build-up. The dealership suggested I just spray some silicone on them once a month.

I’ve already ordered the silicone spray as it seems like a good idea. But it does still leave that centre exposed and quite ugly looking. What are people’s thoughts on hubcaps in the winter? Better to live with the look?
I ordered these today. Less than $10 each

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Right now, the wheels still look great but a bit of rust is already starting. For sure I’ll steel wool the rust away and put on protectant - but do I add caps afterwards? I was looking at other cars on the road today and didn’t see anyone with only centre caps on their steel rims. Wonder if such a thing even exists? View attachment 3237

View attachment 3237
I ordered these today. Less than $10 each
Nice, that's the type I was thinking. OP would need to be careful though. These are held by the lugnuts. .It Looks like the different shape of those lock nuts may pinch and break it. Do the regular lugnuts have a shoulder that catches them without pinching?. I assume the same nuts from original wheels work for the steelies?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice, that's the type I was thinking. OP would need to be careful though. These are held by the lugnuts. .It Looks like the different shape of those lock nuts may pinch and break it. Do the regular lugnuts have a shoulder that catches them without pinching?. I assume the same nuts from original wheels work for the steelies?
Here are the before and after pictures. Using the same lug nuts from the alloy wheels. The half moon sits under the exposed taper of the lug nut. Local technician says he's never seen one break. For the price they are cheap protection.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Locking hubs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts