Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was annoyed by a constant cable plugging/unplugging for the CarPlay feature. Ended up buying a dongle that plugs into a USB port. "It connects with Bluetooth and sends the WiFi credentials to the phone, then disconnects from the Bluetooth network. It works solely on WiFi from that point on".

It has been a couple of days and this thing rocks. Takes about 3-5 sec to connect. There is a 1/3 sec delay when clicking but aside from that it's a worthy upgrade for me.

Recommend for people who want a wireless connection.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
672 Posts
Do you have a link to the product?

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
159 Posts
I like the idea of wireless AA and CarPlay, but without wireless charging (which I know can be installed as an option, albeit in a kind of lousy location) you still have the issue of consuming battery while streaming navigation, music, podcasts, etc. And wireless charging brings more heat than cable charging, so if you use the one mounted in the bottom of the console storage, you can't really use the space very well and keep the phone ventilated.

I like the idea of products like this to retroactively adding such a feature to cars though.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought mine on Amazon. Aliexpress also shows it. There are other brands available. They are all around $100-$125. I bought that specific one 'cause they had a sale and decent reviews. Easy return so no risk to try. So far it has been great. Mazda should have offered something like that.

It's a good point on battery usage. Since it's WiFi, it will use more power than Bluetooth but my cable is always there. I'll keep an eye on drainage but don't foresee a huge problem.

·
Administrator
672 Posts
Reactions: VitaminZ

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
11 Posts
I actually just ordered the same one I believe @VitaminZ, great to hear you are having a good experience. Curious though, they had two models listed one for iOS 11-14 and for iOS 14.5+. I am running 14.5 so figured the other one maybe out of date and unable to connect, but it was a bit annoying as the iOS 14.5 edition didn't have the 25$ off coupon.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GS AWD Crystal Blue Mica
65 Posts
Hope someone will find one that works with the CX-30 and posts a good link to it. VitaminZ links are blocked on my browser by Ublock Origin as they take you by way of a dodgy site called skimresources.com . Don't know what that is but don't care to go there.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
11 Posts

·
Administrator
672 Posts
Hope someone will find one that works with the CX-30 and posts a good link to it. VitaminZ links are blocked on my browser by Ublock Origin as they take you by way of a dodgy site called skimresources.com . Don't know what that is but don't care to go there.
We've discussed this before

Skimresources is an affiliate site that is used by VerticalScope (who host the forum - look at the footer) to monetise certain sites (such as Aliexpress). We've raised this with them in the past and it is normally invisible, but it's harmless when used from this forum.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@TheNationalDebt It looks the same and the name seems the same but mine says 2.0 and I got it via this link.

You can search for "Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter USB for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars (Model Year: 2019 to 2020), Wireless CarPlay Dongle Convert Wired to Wireless CarPlay"

This seller lists them for cars prior to 2018 and after 2019. I got the one 2019+. I have iPhone8 with 14.4 so take it for what its worth. They still list the coupon for me.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GT AWD - Soul Red Crystal
152 Posts
Carlinkit Wired to Wireless carplay Activator for The Audi Volvo Porsche Volkswagen DS7 Hyundai car with Wired carplay Plug and Play Support ios13.. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B086HLD3LD...t_i_MYHRP5CDD7Z9TTKPM5H3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It looks like different sellers sell the same thing with different prices. One of the reasons I chose the one I did was because of a discount. Free shipping and free return was another, although I have Prime and YMMV. Also they had more reviews than some others.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GS AWD Crystal Blue Mica
65 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GT AWD - Soul Red Crystal
152 Posts
U

Unfortunately, indicates doesn't work with Android. Maybe in time...
My apologies. I have an iPhone and I may try it out.
not sure why I just assumed you had an iPhone. lol

cars really should all be wireless by now. The tech is there.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L Premium
8 Posts
In the CX-5 forums there has been some talk that wireless CarPlay / AA might be enabled after a firmware update but that thread died down over time. For the CX-30 is it a fact that the in-built Wi-Fi router is only a hotspot so there is no hope of getting wireless with an update?

Also, are there any solutions similar to OP's one that allow to connect with both CarPlay and AA?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts