Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.0 M Hybrid Skyactiv-G (150hp) Luxury
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!
There appear to be many US based CX-30 owners here. Every picture I've seen of a US (and I guess Canada) model of the car has the yellow side light on the headlights. Is this a legislative requirement in North America?
To me it looks a bit of an afterthought as the headlights' side profile is pretty good looking without the extra side light.

Complimentary pics of my European specimen without the yellow side lights :)
Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Window

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ues these have been required since 1968 model year vehicles...called side marker lights an amber front and red rear light is required.
Thank you for the answer, that's interesting! There must have been some incidents that caused those regulations! It's intriguing to learn the differences in the markets between continents.

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
224 Posts
I don't think it's bad looking, but yes - it kinda looks like they just stuck it into an otherwise well designed light. There are other lighting differences between models and regions. I think some of the lights below the headlights come on white with DRL's mine look white when not on, but only light amber. I was also a bit disappointed to find that the inner 'tail light' doesn't come one for braking unless you have the top lighting package.:(

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,080 Posts
here's my front headlight assembly on my Canadian model. We tend to follow the US in most things (but not everything 😄)

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a shame the "signature" lights are the only ones that use the inner strip of taillights, it looks amazing.
Also I agree, the amber sidelight looks decent when lit up! It is probably integrated as best as it can be which is nice.
We're lucky to have the top end taillights:
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Street light

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,080 Posts
I have the mid-range model and don't have that rear extended light feature.
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
21 cx30 premium awd
209 Posts
Yeah, the center tail lights really do look good, you can bet the designer of this car is annoyed that the lower trim lines don't have the full tail light design.
I wish the inside led taillight on the tailgate would light as a brake light, as well....it does not even on premium levels..it is just a running light

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nice. I was thinking the inner tail light was just with the brake lights. Opposite of what it actually does

·
Registered
21 cx30 premium awd
209 Posts
Thank you for the answer, that's interesting! There must have been some incidents that caused those regulations! It's intriguing to learn the differences in the markets between continents.
I was a kid when this reg came i to effect but, and i can only assume this, many car designs in the 50s and 60s had tail and headlights not visible from the side, unlike many of today's designs with curved lenses. These lights (and i believe the first year they were required to be only reflective, but in subsequent years, as now, have both reflectors and lights) allowed vehicles in poorly lit situations to be seen from the side better. Some makers, gm in particular, engineered the front amber side marker light to blink on n off with the turn signal, as well.

·
Registered
2021 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus AWD
159 Posts
I definitely love the Asian and European spec heads and tails. The amber and red reflectors in my opinion are ugly. I have the signature heads and tails and would love to not have the refectors.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wonder if those of us in the US/Canada could source the Asia/Europe lights somehow and do a swap?
Would not be legal for use here. Cops or safety inspection could ding you for it. There are certainly people riding around with aftermarket headlights that are not compliant. So you might get away with it.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Style (SkyActiv-G Automatic)
12 Posts
I have the European lower trim : the DRL are just of a yellowish bulb kind. I wonder if I could replace them by a led type light.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the European lower trim : the DRL are just of a yellowish bulb kind. I wonder if I could replace them by a led type light. View attachment 3347
Unfortunately I doubt it's possible to just replace it with an led bulb. The version without the bulb doesn't replace the bulb with another light, it's just the side of the headlight cluster that lights up. Led bulbs also usually require a cooling fan on the backside of it so I would guess it's near impossible to just stick one in there as a replacement.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts