Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 Soul Red Select AWD
133 Posts
Why are you having people tear apart a dash? To replace something you can polish in 60 seconds.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Why are you having people tear apart a dash? To replace something you can polish in 60 seconds.
My first thought when initially reading the OP, was to polish vs. replacing but the scratches appear to be substantial. I wouldn't trust someone from a dealership to attempt it and most people would not be comfortable attempting to do such by themselves on a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 Soul Red Select AWD
133 Posts
I had the same problem... Purchased plastic polish, took 60 seconds with a rag. Just like waxing a car very simple.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Select Machine Gray Metallic Mobil 1 0w20
176 Posts
I used the Plastx yesterday. Worked well. Need to touch up a few spots I missed. I was very careful doing it being the plastic is so soft to begin with.

I wonder how they replace it? I assume the dash has to be removed to some extent.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GT
40 Posts
So I tired this plastics cleaner which is available in stores like Canadian Tire or Amazon and it worked for me, compare yourself:

Unfortunately the marks that look like dirt appear to be not a dirt, i tired removing them with water, glass cleaners etc. and then this one I linked above.
Just a note, it worked but left really small hairline scratches that are visible from very close distance and under certain light conditions, yet that's ideal in comparison to what it was.

·
Registered
176 Posts
^ I had the same exact results. I'm happy with how it turned out. It removed 90% of the scratches, however there are very very small hairline scratches noticeable only under certain light and angles.

Still a significant improvement without having to remove the dash.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GS 2020
161 Posts
Do they agree to do that right away or they were trying to avoid that?
Could you please also tell how long does it take and if they did it as warranty or charged you for works?
Sorry for the delay. They quickly did the replacement at no charge.However, it still a very fragile surface; too cheap plastic for the purpose.

·
Registered
CX30, 2.0 L, Executive, 2020, Snowflake White Pearl Mica Paint
8 Posts
If you want to avoid schratches on instrument cluster and on piano black central console, you must ask at the Car Wash to clean the interior with vaacum cleaner ONLY, not to touch the center console and the instrument cluster. It takes five minutes to do this by yourself with a soft cloth or glasses cloth ( very gently ). My car is already 5 months at me and not scratches at all.
They are happy, I am happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Switzerland and bought a CX-30 nine months ago. I am struggling with the same thing. I called my dealership and said this part could not be replaced, but I see through your experience that this is not true. I am really dissatisfied with the overall quality of the car's materials and finishes. They are really poor. I am now pushing to get the plastic cover changed. I cannot really stand it.

·
Registered
CX-30 Sport Lux Skyactive-X Arctic White
11 Posts
I tried using meguires PlastX but it didn't really do much if anything maybe made it worse. I think there's such a high gloss finish on it and its a soft plastic so any tip of rubbing is leaving marks. I was only ever wiping with a thick pile clean microfibre too!

·
Registered
2020 Preferred Snowflake AWD
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So...had mine replaced. Even the new one does not come crystal clear from the factory or wherever. I've simply learned to live with it. What I do now in an attempt to minimize the swirls is use only water and a lens cloth...that's it. As our Swiss friend pointed out, it's a very very shitty piece of material. It will literally scratch just by you sneezing on the thing. I've had cars that I've used gas station paper towels on to wipe clean the cluster that still be brand new YEARS later. No idea wth happened with this particular one.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GS 2020
161 Posts
I live in Switzerland and bought a CX-30 nine months ago. I am struggling with the same thing. I called my dealership and said this part could not be replaced, but I see through your experience that this is not true. I am really dissatisfied with the overall quality of the car's materials and finishes. They are really shitty. I am now pushing to get the plastic cover changed. I cannot really stand it.
Hi. Yes, the dealer has change it but I still have the issue. Here is what Mazda answered me when I sent a complaint: We are sorry to hear of the issues you are facing with scratches on the plastic casing of your instrument cluster. This was caused by external factors and will not be covered by your 3-year Unlimited Kilometre warranty. These surfaces are very delicate and can scratch easily. You should use a clean fine cloth such as those used to clean eye glasses. We are unsure of how to go about removing those scratches. At your own risk, you can try using an interior detailer such as Meguiar’s Quik Detailer Interior Cleaner to see if it helps remedy the situation. Always when using a product you are unsure about, apply to a small section to see the results before applying to the full instrument cluster. We would suggest contacting a car detailing centre near you to see if they can provide solutions or products which may help with the scratches.

So, it looks like we will have to fix it using a light scraches remover. Not impressed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi. Yes, the dealer has change it but I still have the issue. Here is what Mazda answered me when I sent a complaint: We are sorry to hear of the issues you are facing with scratches on the plastic casing of your instrument cluster. This was caused by external factors and will not be covered by your 3-year Unlimited Kilometre warranty. These surfaces are very delicate and can scratch easily. You should use a clean fine cloth such as those used to clean eye glasses. We are unsure of how to go about removing those scratches. At your own risk, you can try using an interior detailer such as Meguiar’s Quik Detailer Interior Cleaner to see if it helps remedy the situation. Always when using a product you are unsure about, apply to a small section to see the results before applying to the full instrument cluster. We would suggest contacting a car detailing centre near you to see if they can provide solutions or products which may help with the scratches.

So, it looks like we will have to fix it using a light scraches remover. Not impressed.
FYI...I've tried the PlastX and it made mine worse as well. Maybe just use the lens cloth and some canned air to clean it.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GS 2020
161 Posts
Obviously, the Mazda employee responsible for the purchase of this part chose the supplier with the lowest price!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Obviously, the Mazda employee responsible for the purchase of this part chose the supplier with the lowest price!
100% agree. We use all sorts of top notch glass on phones. Why not cars?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would say: just don't touch it
That is the thing. I had not touched it until now. It came scratched when the car was delivered. Now, I have found some strange blotches on one side of the panel. I carefully tried to remove them, but it seems the plastic itself is getting stained on it own! Something is off with the material. As I tried to touch it with a brand new microfiber cloth and some mild cleaner, it got brutally scratched. I really lost it and I am now in contact with the dealership. Even if I have to pay for it, which I hope it is not the case, this needs to be replaced. As I said earlier, the finishes of this car are crap! Even the plastic around the window switches or the central console cannot even be seen! I am really, really disappointed.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GT AWD - Soul Red Crystal
149 Posts
That is the thing. I had not touched it until now. It came scratched when the car was delivered. Now, I have found some strange blotches on one side of the panel. I carefully tried to remove them, but it seems the plastic itself is getting stained on it own! Something is off with the material. As I tried to touch it with a brand new microfiber cloth and some mild cleaner, it got brutally scratched. I really lost it and I am now in contact with the dealership. Even if I have to pay for it, which I hope it is not the case, this needs to be replaced. As I said earlier, the finishes of this car are crap! Even the plastic around the window switches or the central console cannot even be seen! I am really, really disappointed.
Good luck!

Mine came scratched too.
The dealership replaced it for me free of charge. Said they’d only do it once.
The new one still has the fine “spiderweb” scratches that can only be seen when the bright sunlight hits the plastic on an angle.
So .... I’m learning to live with it.
Cheap materials used.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mazda did well with the overall interior, using high quality materials. However, they used possibly the worst plastic for the instrument panel which is really absurd considering you're always looking at it. lol

21 - 40 of 72 Posts