Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put a meat thermometer in the air vent and took a video to show what my brand new CX 30 is doing. Every time I accelerate the compressor kicks off and the air warms up about 14 degrees even with the airflow on recirculate. Others have suggested it is normal for the compressor to turn off when the throttle is above 50%. The video clearly shows that I am accelerating slowly, certainly less than 50% throttle. I did the same test in a Kia Optima and it cooled to 47 F then went even cooler down to 45 F when I accelerated.
Happens to me too every now and then. Usually only at the start of the drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had similar A/C issues. Never really blew "cold" air but "cool", then bursts of not as cool air followed by a humid feel/smell. In the 100 degree temperature in Texas the A/C would never get ahead of it. I even had the front 2 windows tinted and film on the front windshield. Finally took it to the dealer and got it checked out. They said everything was operating normally, but emptied and recharged the system. That seemed to do it because now it blows "cold" air and no longer get the bursts of not as cool air with the humid feel/smell. I hope you found/find some resolution for yours because it sure is annoying.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX 30 preferred trim
17 Posts
I have had similar A/C issues. Never really blew "cold" air but "cool", then bursts of not as cool air followed by a humid feel/smell. In the 100 degree temperature in Texas the A/C would never get ahead of it. I even had the front 2 windows tinted and film on the front windshield. Finally took it to the dealer and got it checked out. They said everything was operating normally, but emptied and recharged the system. That seemed to do it because now it blows "cold" air and no longer get the bursts of not as cool air with the humid feel/smell. I hope you found/find some resolution for yours because it sure is annoying.
The dealer did the same thing on my car, but it did not change anything. Do you know if they also did a software update? It has been my belief that the software is telling the compressor to turn off when accelerating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've driven my CX-30 for almost 1000 km and noticed that cooling may be an issue.
Its Auto mode switches on air recycling by default and cooling is improved but trying to keep temperature at 22 degrees Celsius with fresh air seems to be a problem.
If I increase the fan speed or lower the temperature to 20 or 21 degrees Celsius the cooling is improved.
I've taken some temperature readings today. After the car has been sitting in the driveway under the sun, the inside temperature was 35 degrees Celsius while outside temperature was 28 degrees. With A/C on at minimum temperature and maximum fan speed I could only get a temperature reading of 8 degrees at the inside air vents. I remember that I was getting 4-5 degrees in my former Passat with same settings which leads me to believe there's not enough coolant in the A/C system.
Has any of you noticed this cooling issue in your car?
I bought mine two months ago, its been in the shop 6 of those 8 weeks so far, AC is absolutely rubbish, I live in Southern California, and visit the Palm Springs area often, which is well over 100 degrees, very often, it is not able to cool the interior at all, in a 100 mile drive, it only got to 80 inside the car, as soon as I touched the throttle the AC turned off, so stop start, traffic, was basicly next to no AC. The dealship says their waiting for a software update to fix the AC issue. and the cars white, to reflect heat, I will never have a dark car in a hot state.

I am at under 500 miles, and there are other issues too, its the worst car I have owned, they know if its not fixed with in two weeks, they will own it, oh yes, be ready for the, UNABLE TO REPLICATE THE FAULT, response from Mazda, DOCUMENT it all, I run the Automotive section for a law enforcement agency, once I put down the Official letter headed complaint, with verified ASE Technicians, under me, they put me in a new Mazda 5, as a loan car, and know their about to own it back. The dealership has admitted, they now have a number of CX 30's in, waiting on repairs, and the software update.

Ps, I have heard in Europe, the AC compressors are failing, the updated compressors are failing too, one owner is on 3 AC compressors within a 1000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealer did the same thing on my car, but it did not change anything. Do you know if they also did a software update? It has been my belief that the software is telling the compressor to turn off when accelerating.
I'm not sure about the software update. They weren't sure if anything changed after the recharge, they could not duplicate the AC issue . They acknowledged everything was operating normally. You really need to drive it to experience it, it's an inconsistent issue. They wanted me to leave it with them over the holiday weekend, then they could contact Mazda tech to learn more about it. I told them I'd return, but then discovered it was working fine, so I never took it back. Sorry I don't have more helpful info for you.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 Soul Red Select AWD
71 Posts
When the 2019 Mazda 3 came out I drove about 20 of them on the lot. At the time I owned a 2018 Mazda 3 2.5 Manual . I was surprised at how much the new Mazda 3's A/C sucked compared to my 2018. Moved over to BMW but when my mother needed a new car I recommended the CX-30. When I went to visit her the first thing I did was check the A/C. It was great and left me happy Mazda had dealt with the issue. Was looking for a new car with AWD... because I purchased a house in Upstate NY. Really enjoyed driving her CX-30 and did not want to spend 70k on a depreciating asset. So I purchased my AWD Select. Perfect AC in my car as well... Have driven her in temps up to 95F and have never had an issue.

Thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX 30 preferred trim
17 Posts
When the 2019 Mazda 3 came out I drove about 20 of them on the lot. At the time I owned a 2018 Mazda 3 2.5 Manual . I was surprised at how much the new Mazda 3's A/C sucked compared to my 2018. Moved over to BMW but when my mother needed a new car I recommended the CX-30. When I went to visit her the first thing I did was check the A/C. It was great and left me happy Mazda had dealt with the issue. Was looking for a new car with AWD... because I purchased a house in Upstate NY. Really enjoyed driving her CX-30 and did not want to spend 70k on a depreciating asset. So I purchased my AWD Select. Perfect AC in my car as well... Have driven her in temps up to 95F and have never had an issue.

Thats my 2 cents.
When you say "never had an issue" can you confirm that the air does not get warmer when you accelerate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
In almost 10,000 miles I have never noticed. And I notice everything about my vehicle! But I will look into it tomorrow...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just letting you guys know there is another software update with a TSB coming out soon, the issue is the AAS Active Air Shutter is not waking up (opening) when cars PCM tells it too, the outcome is hot air blowing but ONLY applies to car when stationary and at idle when car is first started.... PCM Software update.

From my US contact..applies to BP Mazda 3 and DM CX-30.
Some customer's may complain that the HVAC system only blows warm to cool air (not cold) after starting the vehicle and not moving right away. This may be caused by a closed Active Air Shutter (AAS).
Under specific circumstances, the AAS has a “learning issue” where AAS is kept closed after startup even if the PCM requests it to be open. The shutters will open and work correctly as soon as the vehicle speed exceeds 6.25 MPH (10 KPH). NO DTC will be set when this happens.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Check for DTC and follow WSM steps as needed.
2. After all DTC's are resolved, update the PCM to the latest calibration.
NOTE: This does not resolve any A/C concerns when car is moving, this only resolves poor A/C performance when parked after startup.

BTW, I have heard nothing about AC Compressors failing, strange an owner in EU would be on their 3rd replacement, while not made by Mazda they are lightweight units.

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
324 Posts
I have driven mine in 102 degree weather and been acelerating Passing and merging and it's been good so I'm sorry to those who are having a poor experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just letting you guys know there is another software update with a TSB coming out soon, the issue is the AAS Active Air Shutter is not waking up (opening) when cars PCM tells it too, the outcome is hot air blowing but ONLY applies to car when stationary and at idle when car is first started.... PCM Software update.

From my US contact..applies to BP Mazda 3 and DM CX-30.
Some customer's may complain that the HVAC system only blows warm to cool air (not cold) after starting the vehicle and not moving right away. This may be caused by a closed Active Air Shutter (AAS).
Under specific circumstances, the AAS has a “learning issue” where AAS is kept closed after startup even if the PCM requests it to be open. The shutters will open and work correctly as soon as the vehicle speed exceeds 6.25 MPH (10 KPH). NO DTC will be set when this happens.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Check for DTC and follow WSM steps as needed.
2. After all DTC's are resolved, update the PCM to the latest calibration.
NOTE: This does not resolve any A/C concerns when car is moving, this only resolves poor A/C performance when parked after startup.

BTW, I have heard nothing about AC Compressors failing, strange an owner in EU would be on their 3rd replacement, while not made by Mazda they are lightweight units.
Is this problem only occurring on the Premium trim in North America? People having this issue... Could you please post what trim you have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've driven my CX-30 for almost 1000 km and noticed that cooling may be an issue.
Its Auto mode switches on air recycling by default and cooling is improved but trying to keep temperature at 22 degrees Celsius with fresh air seems to be a problem.
If I increase the fan speed or lower the temperature to 20 or 21 degrees Celsius the cooling is improved.
I've taken some temperature readings today. After the car has been sitting in the driveway under the sun, the inside temperature was 35 degrees Celsius while outside temperature was 28 degrees. With A/C on at minimum temperature and maximum fan speed I could only get a temperature reading of 8 degrees at the inside air vents. I remember that I was getting 4-5 degrees in my former Passat with same settings which leads me to believe there's not enough coolant in the A/C system.
Has any of you noticed this cooling issue in your car?
My CX30 airconditioning is simply not up to south Alabama heat and humidity. Disappointing. I’ve had a lot of new cars but never til now one with weak airconditioning. And yes, I’ve had it checked.

·
Registered
324 Posts
question to those having a issue ? what you are setting it to? its best to set it to auto and 20 degrees C or 68 degrees F as it seems to work best on that setting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When you say "never had an issue" can you confirm that the air does not get warmer when you accelerate.
It does do as you describe ... when accelerating it gets a little warmer. Having sold, worked and driven thousands of cars. They all do this...

I understand it is not the best factory A/C... If you were in the valley (CA) and it was 115 degrees with the sun beating down... you would be hot. Most new cars have weaker AC because of Emission and fuel economy standards .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to say this yet again, but for the 1000th time you DO NOT have Fresh Air open when it is hot outside as car/compressor is trying to cool down Cabin and then hot air coming into car, they just can not cope, just like you don't have door window Open while trying to cool down cabin.
Always, always have on Recirc if you want best AC performance...period.
Sure if a spring or fall day yes that is different, but when 85-100+ F no.
Most cars today are built to be efficient, they do not have massive large and heavy compressors and large evaporators, they are not built like that like they were in the 70,80,90 even 2000.
As for the 50% Accelerator Position will turn OFF AC Compressor, YOU are the problem if you mash your foot hard on the pedal to 50%+, how about driving efficiently, you don't need to jam the Acc Pedal down hard to get going fast.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sorry to say this yet again, but for the 1000th time you DO NOT have Fresh Air open when it is hot outside as car/compressor is trying to cool down Cabin and then hot air coming into car, they just can not cope, just like you don't have door window Open while trying to cool down cabin.
Always, always have on Recirc if you want best AC performance...period.
Sure if a spring or fall day yes that is different, but when 85-100+ F no.
Most cars today are built to be efficient, they do not have massive large and heavy compressors and large evaporators, they are not built like that like they were in the 70,80,90 even 2000.
As for the 50% Accelerator Position will turn OFF AC Compressor, YOU are the problem if you mash your foot hard on the pedal to 50%+, how about driving efficiently, you don't need to jam the Acc Pedal down hard to get going fast.
I keep saying to set it to 68 and leave it on auto! that's how its meant to be used .. but most people don't do this.. I had a similer issue with heat with a custumer when i worked as a nissan service advisor.. till i told them to use auto as they would get in their vehicle in -20 C temp.. crank the temp setting as high as it would go and crank the blower speed and then wonder why they never actually get heat and say there is somthing wrong with their brand new vehicle.... umm hello the heat isn't electric its dependent on engine coolant temp so by doing what they are doing its constantly robbing coolant temp and so the engine wont be able to heat the coolant up and the cabin will remain cold.. set it to auto and the climate computer knows the engine is cold and wont start raising the the blower speed till the engine temp rises. same thing with ac why set it to the lowest setting thinking its making it colder... and blast the blower speed... set it to auto and a room temp and the computer will do the rest and it works very well.. i rest my case lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
Interesting read...
All vehicles are like this now .. maybe this info will clear some things up as there is nothing wrong with the AC system as iv used it extensively in 80 something degree weather with no issues.. that would make me think that geez the AC can't cool down the vehicle when it's been sitting in the heat for 5 hrs windows closed etc works pretty good.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts